During this unprecedented time, Wisconsin Sea Grant is pleased to share Great Lakes literacy resources for educators and families to use during school closures due to COVID-19. In addition to the resources below, check out the following:
- Read the library’s new feature: Great Lakes, Great Reads (while stuck at H.O.M.E.S.)
- Explore the Wisconsin Sea Grant website for videos, podcasts, and publications
- Join the Great Lakes Bioblitz 2020 from April 22 through May 20
- #ColorTheGreatLakes with our new Great Lakes Coloring Sheets
- Explore Lake Sturgeon – with our dissection video and activity sheet
If you have resources to add, please email Anne Moser.
Stay safe, stay well, stay connected.
FACTS AND FIGURES
DON’T MISS VIDEOS
- Wisconsin Sea Grant YouTube channel
- Maritime archaeology: Voices of the Coast, about their Equipment
CURRICULA AND ACTIVITIES TO TRY
- Great Lakes Bioblitz 2020 – join the Wisconsin team and let us know what’s blooming, flying, hopping, or growing around you. Bioblitz runs April 22 through May 20, 2020.
- Aquatic invasive species – full text of the classroom guide, lessons and classroom activities from Attack Pack
- Great Lakes fish – full text of the classroom guide, lessons and classroom activities from Fish-o-pedia
- Maritime history and underwater exploration – learn about remotely operated vehicles (ROVs), the engineering design process, and Great Lakes shipwrecks from our ROVe Pack.
- Great Lakes shipwrecks and maritime archaeology – explore Great Lakes shipwrecks and archaeology, including vocabulary, remotely operated vehicles, and careers. With YouTube channel interviews with a maritime archaeologist from the ROVe the Great Lakes Pack.
- Intro to the Great Lakes – activities to get to know the Great Lakes (sorry, Basin Map unavailable)
- Plastic pollution – resources to explore plastics in our freshwater (and marine) environments.
- Wisconsin Shipwrecks
- Center for Great Lakes Literacy – educator’s curriculum collection. Chock full of lessons and activities on a wide range of Great Lakes literacy topics.
- For younger learners: Wisconsin Water Library lesson plans and STEM kits
Other Wisconsin resources
- EEK! Environmental education in Wisconsin
- Environmental Education in Wisconsin A gateway to resources, events, grants, and more to support your journey or share your story.
- PBS Wisconsin Education:
- Rivers2Lake From our education friends at the NOAA Lake Superior National Estuarine Research Reserve. Their curriculum page.
- Wisconsin Water Siftr
- Alliance for the Great Lakes. H.O.M.E.School
- Great Lakes Now: An Exploration of the Great Lakes – curated by PBS Learning media
- NOAA National Marine Sanctuaries, at home
- Sea Grant Educational Resources Websites maintained by state-specific Sea Grant programs.
- The Bridge Ocean science education (and including the Great Lakes) from NOAA
- USGS Water Science School
- Skype a scientist