Where did phragmites come from?
Phragmites probably came to the United States via natural migration.
Why is it a problem?
- Phragmites is very aggresive and has replaced much of the native reed.
- Phragmites forms massive monocultures in otherwise biologically diverse natural wetlands.
How does Phragmites spread?
Phragmites spreads by seed and by long rhizomes.
How do we control Phragmites?
- Cutting, pulling, mowing or burning can be done and should be repeated for several years.
- Chemical herbicides can be very effective.
- Flooding for an extended period during the growing season may also be successful.