- Side view adult.
- Side view adult.
- Side view adult.
- Top view adult.
- Bottom view adult.
- Head-on view adult.
- Close-up flank.
- Close-up head of a breeding male.
- Close-up mouth and snout of a breeding male.
- Close-up tail.
- Close-up dorsal fin.
- Close-up anal fin.
- Close-up pectoral fin.
- Close-up pelvic fin.
- Close-up head: The mouth is small and subterminal; there is a small barbel in corner of the mouth.
- Notice the faint mottling and the hint of lateral stripe posteriorly; there are 60-67 lateral line scales.
- Close-up head: The mouth is small and subterminal; there is a small barbel in the corner of the mouth.
- Close-up head region of a male breeder: Notice the rosy color at the base of the pectoral fin.
- Close-up head of a breeding male: Notice the tubercles on the head and the barbel in the corner of the mouth.
- Side view of a breeding male: Notice the rosy color in the head region, especially at the base of the pectoral fin.
- Top view of head and nape of a breeding male: Notice the tubercles.
- Side view of a young-of-year: Juveniles are similar to adults, but lack mottling or a lateral stripe.
- Comparison of creek chub (top) and lake chub (bottom): Notice that the creek chub is less elongated than lake chub.
Mouth and Snout: Slightly subterminal, almost reaching to anterior margin of eye. Inconspicuous barbels in corner of mouth. No teeth. Relatively small mouth. Body Pattern: Dark gray, silver or brown on back and sides with faint darker mottling. Sometimes a diffuse, faint, dark lateral stripe, especially on posterior to the dorsal fin. Belly white or cream. Fins withouth distinctive markings. Body Shape: Fusiform, somewhat elongate, round in cross-section. Typical adult size is 100-175 mm TL (4-7 in), with a maximum of about 225 mm (9 in).
Forked tail. A single relatively short dorsal fin with 8 rays and without spines. Pelvic fins abdominal. No adipose fin. Anal fin with 8 rays and no spines.
Relatively small, slightly subterminal mouth. Inconspicuous barbels at the corners of the mouth. Faint mottling and sometimes a diffuse lateral stripe on sides. 60-67 cycloid lateral line scales. See also similar species information.
Rosy color around mouth and opercle and rosy spots at the base of pectoral and pelvic fins. Fine tubercles on head, body, and pectoral and pelvic fins. Lateral stripe may be more pronounced in males.
Similar to adults, but with less obvious mottling or stripe.
None known from Wisconsin.
|Chub, Creek||Terminal; large, extends almost to middle of eye|
|Chub, Hornyhead||Slightly subterminal; moderate size, extends to anterior of eye|
|Chub, Lake||Slightly subterminal; small, barely extends to front of eye|
|Dace, Finescale||Terminal; moderate size, extends to anterior of eye|
|Dace, Pearl||Terminal; small barely extends to front of eye|
|Dace, Redside||Slightly superior; very large, extends to middle or back of eye|
|Chub, Creek||Sometimes present in groove between lip and upper jaw|
|Chub, Hornyhead||Always present in corner of mouth|
|Chub, Lake||Always present in corner of mouth|
|Dace, Pearl||Sometimes present in groove between lip and upper jaw|
|Chub, Creek||Variable; solid color, mottled, or with dark lateral stripe. Dark spot at anterior base of dorsal fin (absent or faint in young)|
|Chub, Hornyhead||Dark lateral stripe ending in dark spot at base of tail; stripe and spot faint or absent in large adults|
|Chub, Lake||Dark with faint mottling and sometimes a diffuse lateral stripe posterior to dorsal fin|
|Dace, Finescale||Dark back, lighter on upper flank, and then dark lateral stripe|
|Dace, Pearl||Dark gray, olive, or brown with fine mottling; often a diffuse dark lateral stripe present, but faint or absent in some adults|
|Dace, Redside||White or yellow lateral stripe on upper flanks, below this is a broad lateral stripe that is orange or red anteriorly and black beyond dorsal fin|
Lateral Line Scales
|Chub, Creek||Very similar|
|Chub, Hornyhead||Moderately similar|
|Dace, Finescale||Moderately similar|
|Dace, Pearl||Very similar|
|Dace, Redside||Moderately similar|