- Side view adult.
- Side view adult.
- Side view adult.
- Top view adult.
- Bottom view adult.
- Head-on view adult.
- Close-up flank.
- Close-up head.
- Close-up mouth and snout.
- Close-up tail.
- Close-up dorsal fin.
- Close-up anal fin.
- Close-up pectoral fin.
- Close-up pelvic fin.
- The Intestine is relatively short and peritoneum is mottled black.
- Notice the dark back, the single lateral stripe, and the medium sized mouth; there are 72-89 lateral line scales.
- Close-up mouth: The mouth is terminal and medium-sized, reaching to the front of the eye.
- Close-up flank: Notice the relatively dark back and the lateral stripe with a lighter area in between.
- Side view of a breeding male: Notice the red color below the lateral stripe and the upcurved pectoral fins.
- Side view of a young-of-year: Juveniles are similar to adults.
- Alternative side view of two adults.
- Side view of a northern redbelly dace X finescale dace hybrid: Notice the hint of second lateral stripe above the mid-lateral stripe (intermediate characteristic).
- Side view of two northern redbelly dace X finescale dace hybrids: Notice the hint of second lateral stripe above the mid-lateral stripe (intermediate characteristic).
- Close-up flank of a northern redbelly dace X finescale dace hybrid: Notice the hint of second lateral stripe above the mid-lateral stripe (intermediate characteristic).
- Close-up mouth of a northern redbelly dace X finescale dace hybrid: Notice the medium-sized mouth, a finescale dace characteristic.
- View of intestine of a northern redbelly dace X finescale dace hybrid: Notice the medium-length intestine (intermediate characteristic) and the mottled black peritoneum.
- Comparison of finescale dace (top), northern redbelly dace (bottom) and their hybrid (middle). Notice the intermediate appearance of the hybrid.
Mouth and Snout: Terminal, moderate in size. Mouth may reach to the middle of the eye. No teeth. No barbels. Body Pattern: Dark brown or black on back, changing abruptly to light olive on upper sides and conspicuous dark lateral stripe below. Sometimes a dark spot at the base of tail. Belly silvery white or yellowish. Fins without distinctive markings. Body Shape: Fusiform and robust, round in cross-section. Typical adult size is 65-100 mm TL (2.5-4 in), with a maximum of about 125 mm (6 in).
Forked tail. A single relatively short dorsal fin with 8 rays and without spines. Pelvic fins abdominal. No adipose fin. Anal fin with 8 rays and no spines.
The tiny scales and one stripe along the side of the body distinguish this species. Moderately sized terminal mouth. No barbels. Single dark lateral stripe. 72-89 lateral line scales. Short digestive tract (much less than TL). See also similar species information.
Males have sides below lateral stripe yellow, orange or red, especially just behind the opercle. Anterior ray of pectoral fins thickened, causing them to curve upwards.
Similar to adults, but with less color.
Finscale dace X Northern redbelly dace.
|Chub, Creek||Terminal; large, extends almost to middle of eye|
|Chub, Hornyhead||Slightly subterminal; moderate size, extends to anterior of eye|
|Chub, Lake||Slightly subterminal; small, barely extends to front of eye|
|Dace, Finescale||Terminal; moderate size, extends to anterior of eye|
|Dace, Pearl||Terminal; small barely extends to front of eye|
|Dace, Redbelly Northern||Terminal to slightly superior; small, strongly oblique and curved, reaching back to nostrils but not beyond front of eye, forming about a 50° angle with the horizontal, tip of the lower jaw slightly ahead of the upper jaw|
|Dace, Redside||Slightly superior; very large, extends to middle or back of eye|
|Dace, Southern Redbelly||Terminal to slightly subterminal; small, moderately oblique and straight, reaching back to nostrils but not beyond front of eye, forming about a 36° angle with the horizontal, tip of the upper jaw slightly ahead of the lower jaw|
|Chub, Creek||Sometimes present in groove between lip and upper jaw|
|Chub, Hornyhead||Always present in corner of mouth|
|Chub, Lake||Always present in corner of mouth|
|Dace, Pearl||Sometimes present in groove between lip and upper jaw|
|Dace, Redbelly Northern||None|
|Dace, Southern Redbelly||None|
|Chub, Creek||Variable; solid color, mottled, or with dark lateral stripe. Dark spot at anterior base of dorsal fin (absent or faint in young)|
|Chub, Hornyhead||Dark lateral stripe ending in dark spot at base of tail; stripe and spot faint or absent in large adults|
|Chub, Lake||Dark with faint mottling and sometimes a diffuse lateral stripe posterior to dorsal fin|
|Dace, Finescale||Dark back, lighter on upper flank, and then dark lateral stripe|
|Dace, Pearl||Dark gray, olive, or brown with fine mottling; often a diffuse dark lateral stripe present, but faint or absent in some adults|
|Dace, Redbelly Northern||Moderately dark back (lighter than lateral stripe) and two very dark lateral stripe with the mid-lateral stripe better developed than the stripe above it|
|Dace, Redside||White or yellow lateral stripe on upper flanks, below this is a broad lateral stripe that is orange or red anteriorly and black beyond dorsal fin|
|Dace, Southern Redbelly||Moderately dark back (lighter than lateral stripe) and two very dark lateral stripe with the mid-lateral stripe better developed than the stripe above it|
Lateral Line Scales
|Dace, Redbelly Northern||77-81|
|Dace, Southern Redbelly||67-90|
|Chub, Creek||Moderately similar|
|Chub, Hornyhead||Moderately similar|
|Chub, Lake||Moderately similar|
|Dace, Pearl||Moderately similar|
|Dace, Redbelly Northern||Very similar|
|Dace, Redside||Moderately similar|
|Dace, Southern Redbelly||Very similar|