- Side view adult.
- Side view adult.
- Top view adult.
- Bottom view adult.
- Head-on view adult.
- Close-up flank.
- Close-up head.
- Close-up mouth and snout.
- Close-up tail.
- Close-up dorsal fin.
- Close-up anal fin.
- Close-up pectoral fin.
- Close-up pelvic fin.
- The side display yellow and red lateral stripes; the mouth is large and terminal; there are 62-75 lateral line scales.
- Close-up flank: Notice the yellow and red lateral stripes.
- Close-up mouth/snout: The mouth is terminal, the snout is pointed.
- Close-up mouth: Notice that the mouth extends to the middle of the eye.
- Side view of a breeding male: Notice the tubercles on back and sides as well as the bright yellow and red stripes.
- Side view of two breeding males: Notice the tubercles on back and sides as well as the bright yellow and red stripes.
- Top view of head of a breeding male: Notice the tubercles.
- Side view of a yearling: Notice the indistinct lateral stripes and the lack of color.
- Side view of a redside dace X common shiner hybrid: Notice the intermediate appearance between the two species, especially the scales and the mouth.
- Close-up head of a redside dace X common shiner hybrid: Notice the large mouth and the pointed snout, both redside dace characteristics.
- Close-up dorsal fin of a redside dace X creek chub: Notice the lack of a spot at the anterior base of the dorsal fin, a redside dace characteristic.
- Close-up flank of a redside dace X common shiner: Notice the silvery flanks and the relativley large and somewhat elevated lateral line scales, both common shiner characteristics.
- Side view of a redside dace X s. redbelly dace hybrid: Notice the intermediate appearance between the two species, especially the size, the two stripes, and the mouth.
- Close-up head of a redside dace X southern redbelly dace hybrid: Notice the relatively large mouth and the large size (redside dace) and the two black lateral stripes (southern redbelly dace).
- Side view of a redside dace X creek chub hybrid: Notice the intermediate appearance between the two species, especially the mouth, the scales, the dorsal fin, and the opercle.
- Close-up head of a redside dace X creek chub hybrid: Notice the large mouth with rounded snout (creek chub), and the small lateral line scales and the red color by the opercle (redside dace).
Mouth and Snout: Mouth slightly superior and large without any teeth. No barbels. Body Pattern: Dark black, brown or olive back. White or yellow lateral stripe on upper flanks. Broad lateral stripe below which is orange or red anteriorly and black beyond dorsal fin. Belly white or silver. Fins without distinctive markings. Body Shape: Generally fusiform, but somewhat elongate and laterally compressed, oval in cross-section. Typical adult size is 65-100 mm TL (2.5-4 in), with a maximum of about 115 mm (4.5 in).
Forked tail. Single dorsal fin with 8 rays and no spines. Pelvic fins abdominal. No adipose fin. Anal fin with 8-10 rays (usually 9) and no spines.
Very large, slightly superior mouth, no barbels. Broad lateral stripe that is red or orange anteriorly and black posteriorly. 62-75 cycloid lateral line scales. See also similar species information.
Males have very bright yellow and red stripes; small tubercles on head, body and fins.
Similar to adults, but lack color in lateral stripes (sometimes a hint of red just behind opercle) which are more diffuse.
Redside dace X common shiner; redside dace X southern redbelly dace; redside dace X northern redbelly dace; redside dace X creek chub.
|Chub, Creek||Terminal; large, extends almost to middle of eye|
|Chub, Hornyhead||Slightly subterminal; moderate size, extends to anterior of eye|
|Chub, Lake||Slightly subterminal; small, barely extends to front of eye|
|Dace, Finescale||Terminal; moderate size, extends to anterior of eye|
|Dace, Pearl||Terminal; small, barely extends to front of eye|
|Dace, Redside||Slightly superior; very large, extends to middle or back of eye|
|Chub, Creek||Sometimes present in groove between lips and upper jaw|
|Chub, Hornyhead||Always present, corner of mouth|
|Chub, Lake||Always present in corner of mouth|
|Dace, Pearl||Sometimes present in groove between lip and upper jaw|
|Chub, Creek||Variable; solid color, mottled, or with dark lateral stripe. Dark spot at anterior base of dorsal fin (absent or faint in young)|
|Chub, Hornyhead||Dark lateral stripe ending in dark spot at base of tail; stripe and spot faint or absent in large adults|
|Chub, Lake||Dark with faint mottling and sometimes a diffuse lateral stripe posterior to dorsal fin|
|Dace, Finescale||Dark back, lighter on upper flank, and then dark lateral stripe|
|Dace, Pearl||Dark gray, olive, or brown with fine mottling; often a diffuse dark lateral stripe present, but faint or absent in some adults|
|Dace, Redside||White or yellow lateral stripe on upper flanks, below this is a broad lateral stripe that is orange or red anteriorly and black beyond dorsal fin|
Lateral Line Scales
|Chub, Creek||Very similar|
|Chub, Hornyhead||Moderately similar|
|Chub, Lake||Moderately similar|
|Dace, Finescale||Moderately similar|
|Dace, Pearl||Moderately similar|